I could eat roasted veggies with every meal; it’s a bit of an obsession. This mushroom stack is seriously delicious and combines all my favourite flavours. Feel free to experiment with the vegetable combination and swap the zucchini for eggplant or any other vegetable of your choice. I love the big chunk of mozzarella on top but you could also sprinkle cheddar or another style of cheese. For a vegetarian version just leave out the bacon, it will still be delicious!
Makes 4 mushroom stacks
4 portabello mushrooms
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium zucchini
1 packet unsmoked bacon, fat removed
2 cloves garlic
1 small red or brown onion
2 lovely ripe tomatoes, halved horizontally
100g mozzarella cheese
olive oil/ fry light spray
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200C and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Chop the sweet potato into 1cm thick rounds. Cut the zucchini on the diagonal also about 1cm thick and place both on tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil or spray with fry light and sprinkle with mixed herbs and fresh salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast until golden and tender.
3. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Start to fry over a medium heat with a little olive oil.
4. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop finely. Add to the onion mixture and continue to fry. Dice the bacon and add to the frying pan. After a minute or so, add the mushrooms, stalk side up, to the pan and continue to cook.
5. Meanwhile, sprinkle the tomatoes with a little salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Place in the oven to grill until they are soft and juicy. The tomatoes won’t take as long as the sweet potato so add this to the oven when the sweet potato is nearly finished.
6. Once the bacon mixture and roast vegetables are all cooked, remove everything from the heat in order to assemble the stacks. Firstly, line a baking tray with paper and place the mushrooms, stalk side up on the tray. Divide the bacon, onion and garlic mixture amongst the four mushrooms. Top with a couple of slices of sweet potato and zucchini, followed by a slice of tomato. Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each stack and pop back in the oven to melt the cheese.
Gluten free – Wheat free