Makes one loaf
250g pitted, ready to eat, dates
2 small or 1 large banana
100g pecans, 85g roughly chopped, rest left whole
100g fine polenta
2tsp mixed spice
2tsp gluten free baking powder
3tbsp dark rum
2 egg whites
Banana chips to decorate
1. Heat oven to 180C/fan. Line a 900g loaf tin with non-stick baking paper, using a little butter or oil to make it stick.
2. Put the dates into a small pan, with 200ml boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the liquid into a jug, then put the dates into a food processor. Add the bananas and 100ml of date liquid and whiz until smooth. Mix the nuts, dried fruit, polenta, spice and baking powder in a bowl, then add the date puree and rum and stir until combined.
3. Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the cake mix. (To ensure perfect egg whites, make sure your bowl is perfectly clean and there are no traces of shell or yolk in your whites).
4. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, it will be quite full, then top with the remaining pecans and banana chips.
5. Bake for one hour until golden and crusty and a skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow the loaf to cool completely before cutting into slices.
Gluten Free – Wheat Free – Dairy Free